Dear MMS Families –
Let there be light! Our courtyard project has taken a big step as windows were installed this past week. We have natural light in the cafeteria, along the library hallway, and in our upstairs balcony. Things are looking bright at Martin Middle School! Here is some important information about things happening at MMS.
- With the holidays approaching, parents are considering new smart phones as gifts for their children. Here is an article that addresses some of the issues kids face when using social media from the website https://commonsensemedia.org.
- The Martin Middle School Chorus, led by Director Robert Rappa will be performing in their first concert of the year, the annual Winter Concert on Wednesday, December 13th. Come listen to holiday classics as our 6th, 7th, and 8th graders display their talents. Tickets are $5.00 for ages 6 and up. Tickets will go on sale on Monday, 12/11 and will also be sold at the door. Here is a link to the new MMS Chorus website. https://sites.google.com/epschoolsri.com/mmschorus/home.
- Winter is just about here and the temperature is dipping. Students are reminded to dress accordingly – in layers (hats, gloves, and warm coats, please.) Be prepared!
- The MMS Student Council is sponsoring a canned food drive to support the Faith & Hope Charity. Students are asked to bring in canned food and place it in boxes in each House through the month of December.
- Parents are asked to please play close attention to the traffic signs on Brown St.. Cars dropping students off on the side with the NO PARKING signs are potentially causing a safety issue. Also, there is no student drop off on the south driveway where busses exit. Parents dropping off students are asked to proceed down the driveway around the main office circle to the right and drop off students next to the curb at the main office area.
- The MMS PTA will have a general meeting at 6:00PM on Wednesday December 13th. Superintendent Crowley will be on hand to discuss the EPHS Building Project. All MMS parents and teachers are welcome to attend.
- Gingerbread houses that will be decorated at the event planned by our Family Involvement Committee have sold out. For those who purchased gingerbread houses, we will see you on December 14th 5:30-7:30!
- On Monday, December 11 during the school day (12:00 – 3:30 PM), parents whose children have been using the Summit Learning Platform are welcome to come to MMS to learn more about Summit. During this time, parents will be guided through the online platform and will have an opportunity to ask questions. This is not a time for individual parent conferences, but teachers will be on hand to direct parents to guidance counsellors for specific student needs.
- Sixth graders have been reading the novel Wonder and will be attending a field trip to see the movie on December 13th. Here is an article 5 Conversations to Have with Your Kids After “Wonder” from the website https://www.commonsensemedia.org.
- Students and Parents who wish to contribute a photo to the MMS yearbook, can upload on http://community.lifetouch.com with the code JXHOYZ. If you have any great pictures from our dances, concerts or sporting events, upload them for our MMS Yearbook.
- The East Providence Mowhawks, a community-based athletics organization is sponsoring a variety of clinics during the late fall and winter. This year, there will be basketball clinics for kids grades K-5 and and lacrosse clinics for K-8. Click here for a flyer.
- Skyward website & Skyward mobile app.
- Martin Middle School Events Calendar
- MMS Facebook page.
- EP Athletics Calendar
- My School Bucks website & My School Bucks mobile app.
- Nutrislice website & Nutrislice mobile app.
- SafeStop app
December Events, Activities & Meetings
Summit Parent Open House – 12:00 – 3:30 PM
Gaming Club Unplugged – 2:30-3:30 PM
Grade 6 Field Trip to IMAX 9:00 AM
Faculty Meeting 2:30-3:30 PM
MMS Wrestling at Ferri 3:30 PM
MMS Chorus Winter Concert 7:00 PM
Thursday, December 14 – Day 1
MMS Theatre Rehearsal 2:30-3:30 PM
MMS Boys Basketball vs. Riverside 3:30 PM
MMS Girls Basketball at Riverside 3:30P M
MMS Family Gingerbread House Event 5:30-7:30 PM
Friday, December 15 – Day 2
Chorus and Band perform at the RI Statehouse 10:00 AM & 10:30 AM
MMS Wrestling at Western Hills 3:30 PM
Monday, December 18 – Day 3
Gaming Club Unplugged – 2:30-3:30 PM
MMS wrestling at Warwick Vets 3:30 PM
Tuesday, December 19 – Day 4
Boys Basketball vs. Scituate 3:30 PM
MMS Girls Basketball at Scituate 3:30 PM
Wednesday, December 20 – Day 5
MMS Chess Club 2:30 PM
Holiday Concert Assembly (students only)
Thursday, December 21 – Day 6
MMS Boys Basketball at UCAP 3:30 PM
MMS Girls Basketball vs. UCAP 3:30 PM
Friday, December 22 – January 1
Thank you and please keep and eye out for more information on this website and on Facebook!
Robert S. Perry
Edward R. Martin Middle School